A Roadway Safety Resource Wrap-up
The end of another year is fast approaching, and what better time to look back on all the great resources and tools that have been made available to local agencies to help improve roadway safety!
The Federal Highway Administration’s website is home to great safety resources and information to address roadway safety issues on local roads. These have been promoted throughout the year, but in case you missed them, here they are again.
- Safe System Approach, which starts with the belief that death and serious injury on our roadways is unacceptable and that humans will make mistakes, has six basic principles as its foundation that are realized through five related elements. More information can be found here.
- Expansion of the Safe System Approach for Pedestrians and Bicyclists with this primer.
- Several Speed Management tools have been created to address the nationwide speeding issue, which is prevalent here in Connecticut as well. Those tools and related information are available here: https://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/speedmgt/.
- Intersection Safety is another area in which the Federal Highway Administration has added resources and tools for local agencies. Check out the great information on their website by clicking this link.
- Rural Roadway Departure Countermeasure Pocket Guide for quick reference to identify solutions to roadway departure crashes on rural roads while in the field. The guide can be found at https://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/FoRRRwD/RwDPocketGuide.pdf.
For more information and assistance with local road safety in your community, contact Melissa Evans, Safety Circuit Rider, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Federal Highway Administration, Office of Safety https://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/